ONE person was hospitalised and property worth $600 000 was destroyed when a house in Lobengula West high-density suburb in Bulawayo went up in smoke last Thursday.

Bulawayo City Council acting chief fire officer Lynos Phiri said the fire was caused by a gas leak.

“A six-roomed residential house built with bricks under asbestos sheets measuring 12X12 metres was burnt down due to a gas leak from the kitchen, which then spread to other rooms,” Phiri said.

He said an 85-year-old lady, only identified as S Ndlovu, the owner of the property complained of smoke inhalation and shock, and was rushed to Mpilo Hospital for medical assistance.

“The whole of the kitchen was gutted down by the fire that then spread to other rooms.  Property worth $600 000 was lost,” Phiri said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *